An essay is a short piece of writing in which the student must expound on a specific topic. If you have not written an essay before, you may encounter various problems. You should avoid difficulties and try to find the most reliable option to write a good essay. In this article, you will find some basic guidelines.
How to write a lyric essay: essay writing algorithm
- Read the topic carefully.
- Define the thesis, the idea, the main idea that you are going to prove.
- Select arguments to support your thesis: a) logical proofs, arguments; b) examples, situations, cases, facts from your own life or literature; c) opinions of authoritative people, quotes.
- Distribute the selected arguments.
- Find out how to make cover pages for essays. Come up with an introduction to the argument (based on the topic and the main idea of the text, perhaps including the statements of great people, popular expressions, proverbs or sayings reflecting the given problem. You can begin the essay with a rhetorical question or an exclamation that corresponds to the topic.
- State your point of view.
- Formulate a general conclusion.
Top 6 most common mistakes when writing an essay
Even very literate people can find essay writing quite a challenge. Sometimes it is very difficult to find the time and inspiration to start writing. Nevertheless, you have to finish your essay. And if you’re still thinking about writing an essay on your own, check out the top 6 frustrating writing mistakes below.
- Spelling mistakes. Students often use the wrong words in a sentence. Automatic spell check may not help because the misused words are spelled correctly!
- Verb choice. This is the most common and unpleasant mistake ever made. Try to use only verbs that will work best for your text. This will help you form the right idea for the reader and show how well you speak the language.
- Comma after an introductory phrase. Students like to use introductory phrases when writing complex essays; however, they often forget that introductory phrases are followed by a comma.
- Sentence fragments. Sentence fragments are a phrase or sentence written as a sentence, but without the element that would allow it to function as an independent sentence.
- Versatility. This is probably the most frustrating mistake students make. So you should figure out how to cut words from an essay and make it more pithy.
- Incorrect use of the comma. A compound subject is two or more noun phrases connected by a conjunction to form one long noun phrase. Students always have many problems with the correct use of commas with a compound sentence.
Essay Writing Tips
More tips to make your essay great.
- Planning. While it may seem like a waste of time, especially during exams when time is short – it’s almost always best to think a little before you start your essay. This should allow you to find your best support ideas, not just the first ideas that come to mind, and put them in your essay accordingly. Your best support idea – the one that most convincingly substantiates your position and, at the same time, the one you have the most knowledge about – should go first. Even the most well-written essays can fail because of ineffectively placed arguments.
- Variety. Sentences and vocabulary of varying complexity are one of the hallmarks of effective writing. When you write, try not to use the same words and phrases over and over again. You don’t have to be an erudite, but a little difference can make the same idea sparkle. If you are asked about money, you can write beautifully that it is wealth. At the same time, avoid beginning sentences with the boring “subject + verb + direct object” pattern. Although examples of this are harder to come by, consider our writing in this article as one great example of the diversity of sentence structure.
- Practice. At the end, though, remember that a good essay doesn’t happen by accident. Although we have tried to explain everything that goes into effective essay writing as clearly and concisely as possible, it is much easier in theory than in practice. As a result, we recommend that you practice writing sample essays on a variety of topics. Even if they aren’t masterpieces at first, a little regular practice will soon change that – and make you better prepared when it comes to the real thing.
You can also buy a custom essay and solve your writing problem. There are many great services online right now that can help you get the perfect paper quickly. After all, all of us face different problems in life that may end up making a difference. So, specialized services can save you from the agonizing process of essay writing. In addition, in case you use the services of a professional, you will definitely have the opportunity to get the perfect paper. Fortunately, nowadays, everyone can solve such a problem quickly and efficiently.